Founded in 1949 as the North Shore Jewish Center, the future Temple Menorah provided the fledgling Jewish population of northern Miami Beach with a place to gather, worship and study. Meeting in a storefront in Normandy Isles under the leadership of Rabbi Mayer Abramowitz z”l, the small community grew rapidly.
After securing a space on 75th Street on Miami Beach—its current location—construction of the temple commenced.
In 1959, North Shore Jewish Center became Temple Menorah, a name that has become synonymous with Jewish leadership, education, and community “on the Beach.”
ln the 1950s, Temple Menorah was at the forefront of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society’s efforts to resettle Holocaust survivors. In the early 1960s, it was among only a handful of synagogues in South Florida to open its doors to the Jewish exiles from Castro’s “New Cuba.” Menorah prides itself in welcoming the vast majority of Cuban Jews, a learned and successful community that till today has shown its commitment, devotion and support to the Temple.
Temple Menorah’s commitment to Miami Beach is not limited solely to its Jewish residents. Throughout its history, the synagogue has been acknowledged for community and interfaith outreach. Dade County Schools as well as the Lutheran Church are among the groups to use our facilities.
ln 1972, during the Republican National Convention, Temple Menorah acted as an intermediary between city, state and federal law enforcement to ensure that no violent confrontations would occur; it housed hundreds of student activists in Olemberg Hall, its banquet facility.
Temple Menorah is at the forefront of pro-lsrael programming, lobbying, and Jewish activism. Our synagogue sponsors scores of on-going classes, programs and activities for seniors, adults, young professionals, students and children.